It Begins Today – Our Road to Financial Peace

by Donna on February 3, 2011

NOLA2009-4 by agbayliss, on Pix-O-Sphere

Tonight we will drop off the kids at their grandparents house and head over to church for our first night of Financial Peace University.

You may have heard me talk about FPU and Dave Ramsey on the site before. If you look back you will notice one BIG thing… NO FOLLOW THROUGH. I had the hype and excitement before. I had read the books, even watched some of the videos, and you’d better believe I listened to the Dave Ramsey Show on podcast, but it was short lived. We did fairly well when we were using cash envelopes, we were motivated for a short period of time, but we let things slide and we’re right back where we started. We are looking forward to doing this with a group. I’m a firm believer in accountability.

Yesterday was such a faith-building day for me. I had just hung up the phone with my father when I got a phone call from church, I assumed it was about tonight’s meeting; maybe they were canceling it because of the weather? No. On the other end of the line was our worship pastor and friend. He goes on to tell me that someone at church had just called him and wanted to donate 100 gallons of heating oil for our family anonymously. He said the oil would be delivered the next day.

I.was.floored – the tears started to fall and immediately I felt so blessed, so very humbled and encouraged for whats ahead for us. After a few minutes of thanks and thanks and more thanks, I got off the phone and called my husband. His reaction was much of the same, we were both so very blessed.

No one want’s to spill out the details of their financial, lives for all to see. Some people think it’s just rude or in bad taste.

I disagree. We need more honesty.

With that said I’m not going to spill out our wage amounts,  our debts numbers and you won’t be seeing any fancy detailed spreadsheets on this site. That’s just not my thing. But I will be honest.

So tonight we start this adventure. I have a feeling it’s going to be just that, an adventure, just like an adventure novel with the struggles, the mountains to climb and the enemies to slay. It’s not going to be fun. But it is going to be freeing!

As we go forward I really felt that I should ask for prayer. Something I don’t think I’ve ever done here on the blog. We’d love for you to pray for us as we seek to be honest with ourselves. Pray that we might both find ways to increase our income both through part-time work and through new clients. You can even pray for miracles, we could use a few of those.

I know we’re not alone and I know we are surrounded by family and friends who love and support us.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Robin @ Set Your Heart To Seek God February 4, 2011 at 10:23 am

Congratulations! We too are trying to get free financially. We have our own business that has suffered so much with the economy. It has been so slow–almost dead–that hubby felt he had to use some of the credit line again. But…God is good! He is only good, so can be o.n.l.y. good! I’m so excited for you and your family–and what a blessing you received from someone in The Body!

Tracey Soko February 4, 2011 at 10:45 am

You post made me wonder how often we limit peoples’ opportunity to bless us by keeping quiet – our pride can get in the way of miracles and really being a community.
Tracey Soko´s last blog ..ContentmentMy ComLuv Profile

Karen February 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

Please tell me how it goes. We did the class at church and loved the program but not the class. No one talked….we just watch videos, the leader spoke about 2 seconds and that was it. I think a different leader that maybe has experienced kids, financial issues etc that talked would have been better. We too have gotten off track….it started with going to Relevant! :) Now, as of March 1, we are starting again. We are getting all of our ducks in a row, reading and listening to the cds on our own. My hubby and I and you guys will be on the same page at the same time. We will be praying for you. Let’s be accountability partners across the miles. Are you the spender like me or is your hubby? I am the spender but of sale items and used coupons. My hubby doesn’t spend but when he does he doesn’t look at sales or coupons so we both have issues!!! I love ya girl. Praying for you!
Karen´s last blog ..Birthday Bash Giveaway 6 Clean Your ScreensMy ComLuv Profile

Rachel February 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I love your openness and honesty already! I’m praying for you and your family right now! Thanks so much for linking up at A Steady Rain today!!

deborah ruby February 5, 2011 at 1:36 am

Congratulations, It is an awesome! We did it last year. Just hoppin by from A Steady Rain.. Good Luck and Many Blessings, Deborah Hope you” stop by Art N Soul sometime.

Becky @ Our Peaceful Home February 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Gazelle intensity! I know you can do it! Enjoy FPU

February 8, 2011 at 12:06 am

That is so awesome, Donna!! You are going to love FPU! We haven’t actually gone through the courses, but we follow Dave’s plan and have been debt free except for our home for several years. We’re not rich, but it is such a blessing to have the emergency fund when we need it and to not owe anyone!! You are going to do wonderfully!

And I’ll be listening for your “WE’RE DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEE” call. :)
Jenny Yarbrough´s last blog ..My ComLuv Profile